The Schmetz - Quilting (1719) 90/14 needles are designed for quilting. They are optimized to help reduce bumps, puckering, and tearing of the fabrics used.
They use the 130 705 H-Q system, which is compatible with most home sewing machines, including Brother, Baby Lock, Bernette, Bernina, Elna, EuroPro, Husqvarna/Viking, Janome, Juki, Kenmore, Necchi, New Home, Pfaff, Simplicity, Singer, and White.
Each card contains 5 needles.
- Shaft: The needles feature sturdy shafts that make them great for quilting through layers of different fabrics involved in the quilt sandwich.
- Shank: The needles come with flat shanks, which makes them fit more easily into your machine, ensuring the perfect stitch every time. This reduces the risk of breakage while also giving you an easier time as you replace or try to fit them into your machine for the first time.
- Scarf: The H in the 130 705 H-Q system indicates that they have a scarf. This allows for the efficient grabbing of the thread by the bobbin hook on your machine. This ensures that a perfect stitch is achieved every time you sew, minimizing instances of skipped stitches.
- Eye: The needles come with a bigger eye to accommodate most types of threads, which also prevents fraying and thread breakage.
- Tip: They have slightly rounded points that are designed for quilting. The point is also tapered, which makes it ideal for penetrating through layers of fabric while quilting as well as making it convenient for crossed seams. The tapered point also eliminates skipped stitches and damage to the fabric.
The most common thread type for this needle is cotton and polyester. However, silk and metallic threads can also be used to add life and color to your quilting.
Threads with longer fibers or staples work well for quilting because of how they are spun, which also prevents lint build up during sewing. Different thread weights can also be used at different stages of your quilting with these needles.
The needles’ stronger than usual shafts make them compatible with most fabrics. They can handle different weights and thicknesses. Most fabrics used in quilting are heirloom quality fabrics, usually made of cotton, wool, polyester, and wadding.
Whenever possible, go for fabrics that are similar to the recommended threads.
The Schmetz – Quilting (1719) 90/14 needles are color coded for easier identification. The upper band indicates the needle type Quilting (Green) while the lower color band indicates the needle size 90/14 (Blue).
You may return the new, unopened items within 60 days of delivery for a full refund. We'll also pay the return shipping costs if the return is a result of our error (you received an incorrect or defective item).